If you are getting an error when trying to Send email, you most likely do not have your SMTP Authentication setup correctly.
Outlook and Outlook Express
- From the menu, select Account Settings / Email Accounts
- Highlight your Mail account and edit the properties
- Click the More Settings button
- Choose the Outgoing Server tab.
- Check the box next to My Outgoing Mail server requires authentication.
- Click the Apply button.
- Click the OK button.
- For SMTP Authentication, make sure that you have Outlook Express 5.02, then...
- Open the configured account that is having issues...
- Go to the servers tab.
- At the bottom of the box you will see a 'click here for advance sending options' button.
- Click this button.
- When the dialog box opens, click the 'SMTP server requires authentication' check box.
- By default, the 'Use same settings as incoming mail server' button is clicked.
- Check 'Log on using' instead of 'Use same settings as incoming mail server.'
- In the account ID box, enter your Account as you email address, but instead of the '@' sign, use the '&' sign.